Table of Contents
1. Should You Cap an Unused Chimney?
2. Does a Capped-Off Chimney Need to be Vented?
3. How Much Does it Cost to Cap-Off an Unused Chimney?
Chimneys can be a forgotten part of the home. Many people don’t think about them until they need to use them; by then, it’s often too late. If you have an unused chimney on your property, this can even be more so the case.
It’s probably safe to say that most homeowners have considered sealing up an unused chimney at some point. It is a logical way to keep heat from escaping the home. Our team at Black Goose Chimney Service can let you know the full condition of your chimney with a yearly inspection. We offer chimney repairs, chimney sweep services and chimney inspections.
Capping an unused chimney comes with a number of benefits. Here are some of the reasons why capping an unused chimney
There’s absolutely every reason to cap an unused chimney. Failing to do so can result in all sorts of costly problems, like:
Animals May Access Your Chimney
Uncapped chimneys can be an open invitation for all sorts of animals to enter and make your uncapped chimney their home. You may get raccoons, squirrels, birds, snakes, and other critters taking up residence in your flue or in the chimney itself.
These animals will not only cause damage to your property but could also transmit diseases. Capping your chimney can prevent animals from getting in and protect your family’s health.
An uncapped chimney is also susceptible to water damage. Water can seep into the bricks and mortar of your chimney, causing it to deteriorate and break down over time.
This can lead to expensive repairs or, in severe cases, the need to replace your chimney entirely.
Capping your chimney will keep water out and protect your investment.
Mold and Mildew Growth
An unused, capless chimney can be the perfect environment for mold and mildew to take hold. It happens because the chimney is constantly exposed to moisture, which mold and mildew need to grow.
Not only are mold and mildew unsightly, but they can also cause respiratory problems for you and your family. Capping your chimney is the best way to prevent mold and mildew growth when you don’t use your fireplace.
Debris and Moisture
Another problem with an unused and open chimney is that it can fill up with all sorts of debris, like leaves, twigs, and acorns. This debris can then hold moisture, which can lead to all the problems we’ve already discussed, like water damage, mold and mildew growth, and animal infestations.
An uncapped chimney is also a significant source of heat loss in your home. That’s because the warm air inside your home can escape up the chimney, making your home less energy-efficient and costing you more money on your energy bills. Capping your chimney will help reduce heat loss and keep your home more comfortable.
The bottom line is that capping your chimney is always a good idea, even if you don’t use your fireplace. It will save you money in the long run and keep your family safe and healthy.
The short answer is yes. Though capping your chimney will block some of the drafts, it won’t stop all of them. That’s why it’s important to vent your capped chimney.
One way to do this is to install a chimney cap with a built-in vent. These caps allow air to flow freely while keeping out animals and moisture.
If you’re unsure whether your capped chimney needs to be vented, check with a professional. They can help you determine the best way to keep your home safe and comfortable.
The cost of capping off an unused chimney depends on the size and type of the chimney. The most common type is a masonry chimney, which ranges in price from $500 to $1,200. If you have a metal chimney, the cost will be about $200 to $400. Finally, if you have a prefabricated chimney, the price will be about $150 to $250.
If you’re unsure about which type of chimney you have, your best bet is to contact a professional for an inspection. They’ll be able to identify the type of chimney you have and give you an accurate estimate for capping it off.
Capping an unused chimney is a great way to save money on your energy bills and keep your home safe. But as explained, it’s not a job to be taken lightly, and it’s crucial to ensure you have the right tools and safety equipment before beginning.
Call us today and get started. 540-586-9778